United Airlines: Baggage Fee, Allowance, and Restricted Items
Traveling with United Airlines? Before booking the flights to India find out everything you need to know about United Airlines baggage allowance, restrictions, fees, and charges.
United Airlines Carry-On Baggage:
In the United Airlines carry-on allowance, you are allowed to bring
- One personal item with maximum dimensions of 9 x 10 x 17 inches (22 x 25 x 43 cm) free of cost.
- Plus one cabin bag at 9 x 14 x 22 inches (22 x 35 x 56 cm).
The United Airlines baggage allowance for passengers traveling on a Basic Economy fare is different from other classes. United Basic Economy passengers are not allowed to carry a larger cabin bag on board. Basic Economy Fare passengers can only bring on board one personal item with maximum dimensions of 9 x 10 x 17 inches (22 x 25 x 43 cm). If you bring a full-sized cabin bag to the gate, you will be required to check it in and pay a $25 handling fee.
United Airlines Carry On Baggage if traveling with Infants:
You don’t have to buy tickets for children below 2 years old. You can carry an infant on your lap. There are some airline rules for pregnant passengers (add link Topmost Airlines Policy for Flying During Pregnancy) and passengers traveling with infants. In addition to allowed carry-on baggage, adults traveling with infants on their lap can bring a diaper bag, breast pump, and government-approved child seat.
Conditions for Stroller:
- United Airlines passengers can get their stroller checked at the ticket counter or at the gate (not exceeding 20 pounds (9 kg)). Passengers with a stroller and a car seat may only check 1 item at the gate.
- Approved compact stroller brands are gb Pockit Stroller, BabyJoy Pocket, and Silver Cross Jet Ultra Compact.
Musical Instruments As carrying On
Along with a personal item, passengers can bring a musical instrument with them. It can be stowed in the overhead locker or under the seat in front. As a Basic Economy fare passenger, the instrument can be carried instead of a personal item. If your item cannot be stored in the cabin, it must be checked and a $25 handling fee must be paid.
Bringing Pets On Board:
United Airlines permits domesticated cats, dogs, rabbits, and birds (except cockatoos) to bring on board. It is necessary that a pet must be kept in a kennel and is accepted in addition to a carry-on bag. United Airlines charges $125 one way for carrying pets with you.
The accepted hard-sided kennels must have the maximum dimensions of 17.5 x 12 x 7.5 inches (44 x 30 x 19 cm). On the other hand, the maximum dimensions for soft-sided kennels are 18 x 11 x 11 inches (46 x 28 x 28 cm).
United Carry On and Prohibited Items: Some articles cannot be carried on board because at higher altitude they are considered dangerous. These include:
- Camping equipment containing fuel
- Defense sprays
United Airlines Checked Baggage for Each Fare Class in 2022:
Your checked Baggage exterior dimension including handles and wheels should be a maximum of up to 62 inches (158 cm). The standard checked baggage must adhere to a max weight policy too. It depends on the class of service you are traveling to.
- For all Economy and Economy Plus fare passengers, the maximum checked baggage weight is 50 pounds (23 kg).
- For business and first-class fares, the maximum weight for checked baggage is 70 pounds (32 kg).
United Airlines Excess Baggage for different routes:
- On a US domestic flight, an economy ticket passenger will have to pay $30 for the first checked bag and $40 for the second.
- On flights to Europe, the passenger of economy fare is allowed to bring the first bag free of charge and for the second they have to pay $100.
- In the USA to India flights (interlink India to USA Travel Restrictions Just Got Easier), all fare class passengers can bring their first bag free of cost. Economy passengers will have to pay $100 for a second bag and $200 for more than three bags. On the other hand, business and first-class passengers can bring a second bag free of cost and pay $200 for more than three bags.
Excess Baggage Fee by United Airlines:
If your bags do not match the allowance rules then you have to pay some extra charges to take your baggage with you. It applies to all the bags that exceed the size or follows beyond the weight limit.
- Overweight bags: Bags from 51 to 70 lbs (24 to 32 kg) cost $200 extra per bag
- Oversized bags: Bags from 63 to 115 inches (160 to 292 cm) incur a charge of $200 extra per bag
United Airlines Checked-Baggage for Children:
Children and infants traveling 10% of the adult’s fare are permitted to bring the same standard baggage allowance plus a car seat or pushchair.
Traveling with Pets:
- Dogs from high-risk areas are not accepted by airlines unless you carry a CDC dog import permit.
- Trained service animals are accepted in United and United Express® aircraft cabins for accompanying a person with a disability.
If you have a high-value or fragile item then United Airlines will not be liable for any kind of loss or damage. It is suggested to bring them as a carry-on instead of checked baggage. Some of the fragile items are as follow:
- Art items
- Backpacks not designed for travel
- Business equipment
- Cameras and other photographic equipment
- Chinaware, glass, ceramics, and pottery
- Computer hardware and software
- Eyewear and other vision devices
- Flowers and plants
- Garment bags not designed for travel
- Irreplaceable items
Some items are considered dangerous at 35,000 feet and are not allowed to carry on board.
- Self-balancing Bags
- Camping equipment with fuel
- Defense sprays including pepper sprays and tear gas
- Gunpowder, flares, and flare guns
- Shock absorbers
- Smart bags with non-removable batteries
Dangerous items with Restriction:
Items such as nail polish, deodorant, hairspray, perfume, and certain medicines should be kept in a clear, quart-sized ziplock bag. As a carry-on, it should not be more than 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters).
As checked baggage, each container can’t be more than 16 ounces. Each passenger can only bring these items up to 70 ounces total.
United Airlines accepts sports equipment if you follow the guidelines and requirements for such items. You can carry sports equipment as checked baggage as long as it lies within the size and weight limits of your checked bag allowance by United Airlines. For overweight and oversize items, you have to pay extra charges.
Can I prepay the United Airlines baggage fee?
Yes, United Airlines does have the facility of prepaying the baggage fee. It can be done online on the website of United Airline or via an app.
What are United airlines’ baggage fees for business class travel?
Checked bags are free for business class passengers.
What should I do if my bag is damaged?
Before leaving the airport file your complaint about the damaged bag. They will inspect the bag and check if you are eligible for the claim or not.
How much is excess baggage on United Airlines?
Excess baggage is categorized into two types i.e. oversized and overweight. For oversize baggage, United will charge you $200 to $400 per bag as per your fare class. For overweight baggage, generally, the charges are $100 to $400 per bag according to the fare class.